Sunday, April 19, 2009

Future of Restaurants & Real Estate

I'm not telling anyone anything too new with this, but Planet Hollywood is over.  Seriously.  If we can thank the recession for one thing, it's for helping to create smaller, more intimate environments.  Operators need to keep overhead to a minimum and therefore spaces will be smaller.  At GK|CRE, we're all for it.

As someone who earns a living by making real estate commissions, and given that the size of a fee is directly proportionate to the size of a space (larger the space, larger the fee), I'm ironically and overwhelmingly supportive of smaller spaces.  Why would I directly support minimizing my own income?  Well, truth be told, I think that in the long run the smaller "jewell-box" spaces will be more successful and ultimately bring up the overall property value, so I'm not too worried about the business side of things.  On a personal note, it's simply nicer.

 A few of my favorite examples include Sotto Sotto in Atlanta, Blue Ribbon in NYC, Delachaise in New Orleans, Kevin Rathbun's Krog Bar, and ai3 gem Holman & Finch on Peachtree just to name just a few.  The spaces are great, the vibe is warm, the concept is cool.  Get with the program, y'all.  Support the small shop.  We'll all be better off.

No comments:

Post a Comment